Three Steps to Building Your Health Coaching Business
As a wellness professional, I bet you thrive on helping people become happier, healthier versions of themselves. It’s incredibly rewarding and fulfilling to play a part in your clients’ transformations.
I know many health coaches feel overwhelmed and confused about how to build their business. You went to school to become a health coach, not a marketing expert, social media guru, or tech whiz, right?
I know how it is because I felt the same way when I was starting out.
I felt like a fish out of water, and maybe you do too at times. I made it a goal to learn as much as I possibly could so I could implement the strategies that would have the biggest impact on my business.
Today I’m sharing three steps you can take to create a plan plus set it in motion – so you can gain momentum with your business.
1. Know Your Goals
When you know what your goals are, it makes it easier to make a plan to achieve them. Without a goal, it’s easy to get off track, get discouraged, and feel like you’re spinning your wheels. Your goals can serve as your map to help you get where you want to go.
Let’s look at one example. If your initial income goal is $2,000 a month from health coaching, your plan may look different than if your income goal is $5,000 or more per month. Let’s say your initial goal is $2,000. How many clients do you need to achieve that income level? Could you achieve half of that amount with 1-on-1 coaching and half with online coaching perhaps? Brainstorm, and see what you come up with. A successful business starts with planning.
Other than your income goals, think about how you want to work. I did all of my coaching either via phone or online, and this allowed me the most flexibility with my schedule. Consider what would work best for you so you can fit your business into your life.
Take some time to write down your income goals for the next 6-12 months, and what actions you will take to get there. If you need ideas for action steps, be sure to keep reading.
2. Have a Comprehensive Coaching Program in Place
Do you feel confident about offering your services to potential clients right now, or does the thought of it make you feel a bit uneasy (or downright freaked out)?
You will feel more confident and empowered when you know your coaching program can really have a dramatic impact on people, and you have an organized system in place.
It’s important to have more than one way that people can work with you. Not everyone will be ready to commit to your 6-month coaching program, so be sure to have a starter program where people can sample what you do on a smaller scale (and lower budget). Your one-on-one 6-month program can be your premium package, but you can also offer a 30-60 day program (online or one-on-one) as a short-term option.
When you have more than one coaching option to offer, you will hear more yeses to working with you.
If you have a fantastic program all laid out and ready to go (that you can also use for online coaching), that’s fantastic! If you don’t have a transformative coaching program in place yet, and are not sure how to put one together (or you’re wondering how you are ever going to find the time to create one), then check out these done-for-you coaching programs from Health Coach Solutions >> HERE<< (Be sure to use coupon code HOLIDAY20 to get 20% off until Dec. 14th at 12 PM PT)
3. Get the Word Out (Market Your Business)
As a business owner, you have to let people know about you, and how you can help them. You wouldn’t open a brick and mortar business without marketing your business, right? The same holds true of your coaching practice – people need to know how you can help them, and how they can find you.
The wellness professionals that have successful businesses are consistently marketing their business to the right people.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Get in front of the people you want to help (on a regular basis) – live workshops, networking, webinars, finding referral partners, joint ventures, etc. Getting your articles in online publications (like MindBodyGreen.com) can be great too.
- Include a free offer on your website to grow your email list and stay in touch with your subscribers. Promote your free offer on a regular basis (several times a week on your different social media platforms, and explore the option of using Facebook ads for promoting your free offer). It’s critical to build your email list so you can stay in touch with people because you never know when they’ll be ready to work with you.
- Get noticed! Use the power of Facebook Live to dramatically expand your reach, get more fans, and build authority. Offer one or two helpful tips (start with a 3-5 minute broadcast) and a call to action at the end about how viewers can get more of your free resources (direct them to one of your free offers that relates to the topic you’re speaking about).
- Start your own online community. Create your own Facebook group. This is one way to add credibility and attract people to your tribe so they can get to know you. I started my first Facebook group back in 2010, and that was how I gained my first few clients (for both 1-on-1 coaching and online coaching).
Don’t let the choices overwhelm you. Just pick one or two strategies to focus on at a time, and then add more as you can. Each strategy can build on the next. Test what works, and change gears when needed.
Success leaves clues
Success leaves clues, so commit to learning from the best in the industry. Surround yourself with like-minded people and put your plans in motion. Success also takes time – it doesn’t happen overnight.
To be a successful health coach (or to succeed in ANY business) you’ll need to get help and support where you need it, learn the right systems to put into place to build your practice, and invest in your business where applicable. Yes, it can be done. It takes time, action, and a good plan.
Goals and intentions are great, but ultimately taking action is what matters the most.
You can do this! Decide on one thing you can take action on this week, and go for it.
I’m rooting for you!